Harm Reduction- Syringe Services Program (SSP)
The District Health Department No. 4 Alpena and Cheboygan County offices, is now offering FREE, ANONYMOUS or CONFIDENTIAL, non-judgmental syringe access disposal during normal business hours.
What are the benefits of an SSP?
- Reduce HIV prevalence by as much as 50%
- Reduce hepatitis C prevalence by as much as 50%
- Reduce drug poisoning (overdose) death by providing naloxone/Narcan to people at high risk of witnessing and opiate overdose.
- Reduce accidental needle sticks by 66% in law enforcement professionals
- Increase the proper disposal of syringes and other hazardous materials
- Increase access to substance use disorder treatment and recovery services – SSP participants have been shown to be up to 5 times more likely to access substance use disorder and recovery services, and stay enrolled in those services, than people injecting drugs and not utilizing an SSP.
- SSPs are safe, effective, and cost-saving
- SSPs Do Not increase drug use or crime