Food Establishments and STFU

Michigan’s Food Law 2000 Act 92 PA 2000 as amended requires that a person preparing or serving food to the public obtain a food service license. License categories may include:

  • Fixed Food Service Establishments- annual, seasonal, or limited license
  • Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU)
  • Mobile Food Unit

Food licenses require regular inspections and approval by the health department. The Board of Health has approved fees for many program services. The basic goal of the health department’s Food Service Program is to ensure food safety and prevent foodborne illnesses.

Food Service License Attachments

All restaurant owners within the District Health Department No. 4 service area should have received a Food Service License Renewal Letter in the mail.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture has additional information on Food Safety:

View MDA’s Food Safety Information.